Ironman Boulder

Sunday, July 6, 2014

7.5.14 Record Ride

Seems like every weekend I have pushed the envelope a little further.  Jeff was back from Ironman Buffalo Springs so he was going to ride with me.  We decided to meet at 5:30am at Andy Brown park.  I was going to leave the house at 5am to get a few miles in.  Jeff wanted to ride out to the airport and back to the park to see if anyone from the group that meets at 7am wanted to go with us.  We picked up Lowell at 7am and took off for Eagle Mountain Lake on the other side of Fort Worth.  I have never been there so it was all new for me.  After the fact looking at the ride profile,  it was uphill until you get close to the lake.  The lake is in a valley.  The weather wasn't too bad until about 10am.  It was still humid as all hell but the temperatures didn't come up for a few hours.  I felt good for the first 70 miles.  That's where we hit the turnaround at the lake.  The climb from the lake was rough on the legs.  I was spinning my way out of there and really didn't pay attention to pace whatsoever.  I wanted to conserve energy for the entire ride.  There was not a single place to get water from roughly mile 60 to mile 80.  I didn't know this and was running a little short.  There was a water fountain at the lake but it usually tastes like crap.  You do what you have to though.  It was good to see the Gaylord Texan.  Familiar territory and the knowledge that the ride was coming to an end.  When I made it home, it was a little over 116 miles and over 3100 feet in elevation gain.  Both were new records for me.  One more big week before my taper.  I felt a little sore and dehydrated.  I didn't fuel perfectly but I wasn't destroyed, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment