Ironman Boulder

Monday, July 28, 2014

7.28.14 Boulder Reservoir Swim

My plan was a short 10-20 minute swim at the reservoir to get familiar with the lake.  I drove over to the lake and arrived around 8:30am.  I was told the swimming area was not going to be open until 11:00am.  I took the opportunity to drive most of the 112 mile bike course.  The first half actually enters the edge of some of the mountains so there is some elevation to be had there.  The second half is mostly rolling hills.  Pacing and patience will be the order of the day on the ride.  When I made it back to the reservoir, it was almost 11:00am and I was good to go.  The water is cool.  I was told by the lifeguard it was 76 degrees.  It felt good with the wetsuit on.  The swimming area was probably 60-70 yards wide and I just did laps.  They are going to have a 750 yard course set up on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week in the morning.  The weather is supposed to get bad for the next three days and I felt good so I went a little over an hour cover 1.6 miles.  The wet suit was great and I didn't have any issues breathing.  I met some people from Canada and a few of them were having problems.  I feel much better about the swim after today.  After swimming, I ate some lunch and then went to Skratch Labs to get some nutrition.  They were really nice to me and I picked up some pineapple sticks and some everyday Skratch.  Good guys over there.  I drove up to Nederland in the mountains and walked around a little bit.  It is really pretty up there.  It was probably 8500'-9000'.  I could feel the effects of the altitude.  I really like Boulder a lot and I am getting excited about the race now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment