Ironman Boulder

Monday, July 14, 2014

7.13.14 Pacing Run

Different run today.  Matrix(Rich) and Joe are signed up for the Leadville 100 trail run in mid-August.  They planned a 50 mile run starting last night at 10:30pm.  I was to pick them up close to Rockledge park at 7am to pace them through the last 10 miles.  Since they would be on their feet for eight and a half hours before I arrived, I figured this to be a slow day.  I decided to park at the Matrix house and run to the meeting point.  It was around 4.5 miles and I could do that at a fairly normal pace and then help them through the last ten.  When I got there, everyone was waiting.  The Matrix's wife Holly brought aid station supplies before we took off.  Pineapple is so good when your running, I don't know why.  Joe was not there when I arrived.  He had some serious stomach issues and could not go on.  Rich was not looking great either.  He couldn't eat and really didn't want to drink before we left.  I have never seen him look like that.  We took off with a plan and ran about a half mile.  We walked up to 2499 and crossed the road.  The sun was up and was really whipping Rich.  We did a little bit of walking/running until we made it to the fire station next to the FloMo CAC.  I made him eat a small amount off of his protein bar but it was making him sick.  We decided to take a more direct route home at the fire station.  His stomach was not happy.  He filled his water bottle and we took off.  For the most part, walked up Gerault to Flower Mound Road and then headed back to his house.  We stopped a few times to rest.  I really didn't think we were going to make it back to his house.  He wanted to throw up but just couldn't for some reason.  I sent Holly a text and let her know I may ask for assistance if things didn't get any better.  Before we made it to 2499, he laid down for a few minutes.  Some woman came by and wanted to know if we were ok.  I told her yes but I'm not sure she was convinced.  When I told her he had been running for about 43 miles, you should have seen the look on her face.  I helped Rich up and we kept moving.  Finally made it to 2499 and I think the Matrix declared us two miles from his house.  We probably walked a half mile when he finally was able to really empty his stomach.  Some guys in a SUV stopped and wanted to take Rich home, but we convinced them it was ok.  I think he rallied a little bit after that and we were able to walk our way back to his house.  I don't think I have ever seen anyone persevere through that much pain to finish a run.  The heat and humidity right now are brutal and it will take its toll if your not dialed in with nutrition.  I was on my feet for three hours.  Covered 11.5 miles.  It was good to get time on my feet as the distance really doesn't matter at this point.  This is the last day of my build and the taper begins.  I am really looking forward to letting my body recover.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/540682798

No comments:

Post a Comment