Ironman Boulder

Thursday, May 23, 2013

50th Birthday Thoughts

......so on Tuesday, May 28, I turn 50.  My brain rattles at 100 miles per hour just thinking about it.  In Triathlon terms, I am fine with this.  I aged up and let's face it, the 40-44 and 45-49 age groups are some of the most competitive groups out there so I was happy to say goodbye to those groups.  It was all good this year while I was still 49 and racing in the 50-54 group.  It felt like cheating a little bit.  Now that the reality is upon me, I'm not so sure.  How did this happen to me?  I remember when my Dad turned 50 and we had a big party at the house.  It seemed like a milestone so far away in relation to where I was at the time, yet it seemed like yesterday now.  I don't really feel any different today mentally than I did at 20.  Sure, I am probably more mellow and have better perspective but I'm still as goofy as ever.  I can't see without my glasses now, my wife says I can't hear and there are definitely more wrinkles on my face so things are different even if I don't think so in my brain. 

My family keeps asking me what I want to do for my birthday.  I'm like a deer in the headlights.  I don't know if I want to crawl in a hole and let it pass quietly or find something to do and celebrate the moment.  I have never been very comfortable with being the center of attention since most of my formative years were spent trying not to stick out in the crowd.  Which is impossible when you look at least 3 years younger than everyone around you.  As a late bloomer in the growth department and I mean really late, there were a lot of people who dismissed, ignored, or belittled (no pun intended) me based on perception.   I had a job at Tom Thumb in high school and wanted a promotion to stock groceries.   The manager outright told me no based on my size.   He said I couldn't keep up.   I asked him what the most amount of cases he thought could be worked in one night.  I don't remember the number but I asked for one chance and I beat his number that night.  Having to prove myself to others was a pretty common theme for me and has shaped me to some degree with a most probable out of whack competitive edge.  One thing is for sure, I never conceived this day would come so quickly oh so many moons ago. 

I have had a few days in my life that could have ensured this Tuesday would have been a completely different kind of day.  I certainly barely escaped a very close encounter with the grim reaper about five years ago and that has given me a different perspective.  My near death experience changed how I feel about my mortality and maybe there will be a day when I can write about that but it won't be today.  I do know that making the most of every day is something not to be taken for granted.  Persistence and not giving up matters.  It applies universally, I promise.  Whatever is important to you, do it to the best of your ability and pursue your chosen path with passion.  Enjoy the time you have with your family and your friends because there is an expiration date.  Don't be afraid to try things outside your comfort zone.  Anything is possible when it comes to the human spirit.  I am very lucky to have my wife and kids to enjoy the ride with.  I have great parents and friends in all areas of my life that make each day special.  I am a truly blessed guy.  Going on this adventure that is endurance racing can't be done without the patience and understanding of your family.  They are the most impacted.  Thanks Patty, Meghan and Lance.  Love you all!  Maybe that's all I really need for my birthday and a kick ass cake.  Stay classy, planet earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment