Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

5.7.13 Track Run, Happy Birthday Meghan

Today is my daughter's birthday.  She is at Hamline University and is a freshman there.  It's the first year she has been away from home on her birthday.  It doesn't seem right to not have her at home this year. 

Jeff sent me a plan for the week last night.  We are going to do alot more running this week and will tap into some bike work next week.  I'm going to have to get faster to have a chance in some of these races in the next few months.  The workout was complicated and I actually had to write it on a piece of paper and take it with me to the track this morning.  It went like this:

1 warm up mile
400 @ 5k pace -16 seconds
60-90 second rest
800 @ 5k pace -10 seconds
60-90 second rest
1200 @ 5k pace
400 recovery jog
1600 @ 5K pace
400 recovery jog
800 @ 5k pace -10 seconds
60-90 seconds rest
1 mile cool down

I had to find a starting point for all of this.  At the race this weekend, the winner of my group ran under 7 minute miles.  So today, I was going to start the 400 out fast and see where it went from there.  I can't say my original goal was to all of the intervals at less than 7 minute pace, but as things progressed it was time to start pushing the envelope a little bit.  I ended up running these times:

400 - 1:44 (6:14 pace)
800 - 3:40 (6:56 pace)
1200 - 5:20 (6:37 pace)
1600 - 6:57
800 - 3:35 (6:43 pace)


I was very happy with this outcome.  I was fast or at least fast for me.  I have never really run like this before.  The bottoms of my feet are still a little sore today as is the rest of my body from the race.  After I got going, it was no problem.  I sent Jeff an email about how I did today when I got home.  I need to keep this up.  This was one of my best days running this year by a long shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment