Ironman Boulder

Sunday, May 26, 2013

5.26.13 Half Marathon PR

We had rain again last night.  I'm not sure how much but the streets were wet when I woke up this morning.  It was really humid outside (90%) and around 73 degrees.  My plan called for 110 minutes.  I wanted to do the usual trail run out at Northshore this morning but DORBA said the trail was closed.  I decided to do something a little different this morning.  The concrete Campion Trail out of Valley Ranch is smooth and is scenic through the woods along the the Trinity river.  It is fairly flat and I started out doing some easy mid nine minute miles with the intention of going 55 minutes and then turn around.  I saw Joe's neighbor Fred at the 4.5 mile mark.  He trail runs with us sometimes on Sunday.  You never know who you will run into out there.  I stopped for a few minutes to talk to Fred and then took off.  I started feeling stronger as time went by.  Around the 5-6 mile mark, I realized my time was going to be right at a 2 hour half marathon.  I either had to turn around at 55 minutes or go to the 6.55 mark and turn around.  I decided for the latter.  If I couldn't make the time, I could just stop at the 1:50:00 mark and walk it back to the truck.  At the turnaround, I tried to find a good sustainable pace that was less than nine minutes per mile.  I was a shade over an hour at the turnaround and only had to make up about 30 seconds on the return.  At about 9-10 miles, I didn't think I could keep the pace.  I saw Fred coming the other way on his return and it made me feel a little better knowing I didn't have far to go.  Seeing a friendly face was a big motivational lift.  As I started looking at my watch and counting down the miles.  I passed under the 635 bridge and was really close on time.  I passed under the Valley View bridge and was a little ahead.  Once I got to about 2 miles to go, I thought it was possible but I was fading and having a hard time hanging on to the pace.  I got to the levee and had to get over it before finishing.  The end was in sight and I was close.  Once I got over the levee, I could see my truck in the parking lot and kept the pace to the truck.  When my watch hit 13.1 miles, I was at 1:57:46.  It has been sort of an under the table secret goal to bust a 2 hour half marathon.  I took the Skratch Labs drink mix with me today.  I have to say it worked great in warm, humid conditions.  There may be something to that stuff.  Never cramped at all.  I'm pretty stoked about today's run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318389860

No comments:

Post a Comment