Ironman Boulder

Thursday, May 9, 2013

5.9.13 Tempo Run

Kind of a tough few days for training.  I was able to swim on Wednesday morning and was supposed to ride my bike and brick a small run.  That didn't happen.  On Tuesday night, I took my bike in to get new tires.  The rubber was shredded on my rear tire after the race in Austin.  As much as I would like to think this was due to my incredible speed, it is more likely the 3000 miles or so on these tires.  Anyway, the guys at the bike shop found some adjustments they wanted to make and decided to keep my bike.  The arm rests kept falling every couple of weeks and Profile Design has a fix but it required new hardware.  The bike shop comped the fix for me.  Good guys at the Bicycles Plus.  My bike was ready on Wednesday afternoon but by the time I got over there, picked up my bike and made it back to the house it was too late to ride.

So this morning, it was the Thursday tempo run.  Jeff had 8 miles for me today.  1 mile warm up, 2x (1 mile at half marathon pace, 1 mile at 10k pace, 1 mile at 5k pace), cool down mile.  I think he knew my legs would be tired so he told me to try and keep a steady, fast pace for the 5k and not worry if I couldn't get down to the normal speed.  It was tough today.  My longer 8 mile route has some hills worked in so it is really tough for the first 4 miles.  My times in order were 10:05, 9:21, 8:52, 7:55, 9:09, 8:52, 8:20, 9:45. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/310170934

I was definitely having problems hanging on for the last four miles.  At the end of my run, there was an ugly incident close to the house.  It looked like a kid going to school on a bike was hit by a car coming out of an alley.  There were a bunch of fire trucks, ambulances and police.  From what I could tell, everyone looked ok.  The kid was sitting up in the grass and appeared to be fine.  You really have to pay attention in certain areas.  People just don't pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment