Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday 9.11.12

I have a strange week at work and will probably not be available for Wednesday and Thursday evening workouts this week.  Jeff has accomodated this in the schedule so today's run was a little different from the usual Tuesday track run.  Today, Jeff had me do a combination track and tempo run.  Jeff listed this as a hard workout.  When he says that, it usually means damn near impossible.  I drove to the track this morning at around 6:15.  Jeff was there so I got to spend a few minutes talking to him before the workout.  I ran a warm up mile at the track (10 minute mile).  Jeff gave me a 4 mile route starting and ending at the track around Coppell.  The goal was to do all 4 miles at 8:20 pace today.  It takes a few miles for me to get loose so the first mile was the slowest but I was on track.  The second mile had a douche grade climb but when you are trying to maintain a fast pace you really don't want to see any kind of hill.  The third mile was a little tough mentally and the fourth was the light at the end of the tunnel.  The four times in order were 8:28, 8:05, 8:08 and 7:56.  I was very happy but I knew there were 4x800 at the track that were to be done in 3:50 which equates to 7:40 pace.  I started out crushing the first 800 and then died on the second lap.  Hoping to not completely destroy the rest of the 800s, I tried to maintain a more consistent pace for the last 3 800s.  The second was the toughest to make.  I found a rhythm for the last two.  The end was in sight and I was able to mentally see the end.  The four 800s were completed in 3:48, 3:50, 3:46, and 3:42.  Once these were completed, I was to finish with a one mile cool down.  I really felt like I was slugging out a 12 minute mile at this point and really didn't look at my watch until the third lap at the track.  I wasn't really worried about the speed.  When I did look at my watch it was around 9:40 pace.  I guess when your knocking out 8 minute miles, 9:40 seems like going backwards.  The cool down mile was finished in 9:37.  Overall, I was very happy with the days results.  My hamstrings were a little tight as I finished but I feel great this afternoon.  I had water with me and one gel I took during the 800s.  I don't remember when.  I had a potassium pill before the run and a honey stinger waffle.  The run was hard so I drank an Endurox recovery drink.  Overall, I feel great.  It is always good to stare a challenge in the face and conquer something you don't think is possible.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/221509616

No comments:

Post a Comment