Ironman Boulder

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday 9.8.12

A front blew through last night and the temps dropped to the high 60s this morning.  With the front came 20 mile an hour winds from the north.  I typically ride the bike on Saturday and run on Sunday to get my legs accustomed to running on tired legs.  Facing a 4 hour bike ride into the 20+ winds did not seem like a great idea so I swapped workouts for this weekend.  I run on the weekends with Rich and Joe.  Joe figured out a way to make it work for all of us.  Rich is training for a 100 mile race in Arkansas in October so he is going with big mileage.  Joe was training for a 50 mile race.  Rich ran 2 miles before meeting us.  I ran a little over 8 with them and they were finishing up with an additional 8.  My plan called for a steady 100 minutes today.  On the trail, that means a little over 8 miles.  The weather was awesome and I definitely could have continued on today without a problem.  Down side for the day was a vicious attack from a wasp that stung me on the back of my neck.  I don't get allergic reactions from wasp stings but it still hurts as of this posting.  Joe informed me that wasps don't die when they sting you so I don't even have the satisfaction that the little son of a bitch ate it after his sneak attack.  As far as the run went, my right hip was a little sore this morning.  It settled down after a mile or two and I felt good the rest of the way.  Ate a honey stinger waffle this morning and took a potassium pill.  On the run, I had one honey stinger gel and three of the four bottles of water on my fuel belt.  Running in the 60 degree temps with low humidity was a tremendous boost to my mental approach.  The 100 degree heat will wear on you physically and mentally if you let it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220174379

No comments:

Post a Comment