Ironman Boulder

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thursday Tempo Run 8.9.12

Thursday runs are always very tough so I wasn't exactly looking forward to today when I woke up.  The plan called for a mile warm up, alternating 5 minutes at 50% effort and 5 minutes at 70% effort, and a mile cool down.  I figured the harder effort pace would be around 8 minute mile pace and the softer pace would be around 9 minute mile pace.  I took a Honey Stinger before I left and filled my fuel belt with water.  Good thing.  The weather was cooler this morning but the humidity was pretty high.  I took a Honey Stinger with me but never opened it.  The water was enough.  My warm up mile was a little fast but it felt easy and I felt pretty good.  The first soft 5 minutes and hard 5 minutes hurt a little but I handled it pretty well.  I was actually pretty fast for the second interval group and felt better.  The third interval hurt a little more but I was able to maintain speed knowing it was almost over.  The beginning of the cool down mile was probably pretty slow but in the end it was a very acceptable split.  Not bad for the dreaded Thursday run.  I am beginning to feel stronger again which is a pretty good feeling.

Warm Up:  9:10/mile pace
#1 Moderate:  9:00/mile pace
#1 Hard:  8:08/mile pace
#2 Moderate:  9:21/mile pace
#2 Hard:  7:57/mile pace
#3 Moderate:  9:22/mile pace
#3 Hard:  7:43/mile pace
Cool Down:  9:44/mile pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/208433839

I also rode the bike last night.  Plan was for one hour.  Warm up and then 4 minute easy/2 minute hard/4 minute moderate repeated 3 times following a cool down.  I covered 17 miles in the hour so that is a pretty good pace considering stop signs and traffic lights.  I felt very good last night.  The weather was only mid 90s after some afternoon rain.  Mid 90s felt great.  One bottle of water and a Honey Stinger gel.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/208404273

No comments:

Post a Comment