Ironman Boulder

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday 8.19.12

Per the plan, today was a 90 minute run at a fairly consistent pace.  It was a great morning.  Temperature was 69 when I left the house.  That just doesn't happen in Dallas in August.  Last year, the morning lows were about 85.  With a couple of weeks left in August, you have to take advantage of days like this.  I took a full fuel belt with water, two honey stingers for the 30 minute and 60 minute mark of the run, and a stinger waffle before the run.  Today added a new twist to the regimen, Joe has a friend that swears by Pottasium supplements before workouts.  I took one today.  Granted, the weather was better but I did feel really good today.  I wasn't sure before the run.  The fast pace yesterday on the bike had me a little concerned about today.  The Matrix met us at Joe's house at 7:30am.  The trail was closed after all the rain last night so we had to stick to the concrete.  We took a course with alot of hills so the miles were a little slower than usual.  I was more interested in keeping the legs moving and covering the 90 minutes.  We walked here and there when taking in nutrition.  I did work hard on every up hill climb and did not compromise the hills at all.  The run covered 8.4 miles and took about 1 hour and 33 minutes.  I never felt bad.  I didn't think it was going to go well at first but once I established a rhythm, I was in good shape.  I ran out of water with about 15 minutes to go.  Drank my recovery drink and a Gatorade when I finished.  Stopped at the Walgreen's and picked up some Pottasium for the next few weeks.  I was also out of Iron.  My arthritis seems to give me issues with being anemic at times so I take iron as a supplement each day.  Nice week of training overall.  Should get Jeff's plan for next week tomorrow.  Jeff is doing Ironman Louisville next weekend and trying to qualify for Kona.  Hope he makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment