Ironman Boulder

Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July Training

We went to the family lakehouse at Lake Kiowa, close to Gainesville on the Texas/Oklahoma border, for the 4th of July.  I got up early and intended to have someone follow me in one of the SeaDoo's for my lake swim.  The batteries were toast so I ventured off on my own.  I planned on getting about 45 minutes in which is exactly how it worked out.  I tried to stay close to the shore line and put on my neon orange swim cap.  No problems and I felt good the whole way.  While I don't know the distance for sure, I would have to think it was at least half iron man length.  Went back up the house after the swim, made a trip to Gainesville to buy new batteries, and then ate some breakfast.  Since I had to wait for the batteries to charge, I went ahead with the scheduled bike/run brick.  The goal was 90 minutes on the bike followed by a brief 15 minute run to aclimate the legs to running off the bike.  I started around noon so it was really hot.  One loop around the lake took approximately 30 minutes.  Perfect, I made three loops and pulled in to put my running shoes on.  Consumed one bottle of water and one bottle of Accelerade on the bike.  Triberry gels every 30 minutes.  I took a plastic bottle of water with me for the 15 minute run.  Timed the run perfectly.  At 7:30 I turned around and hit the door of the house at exactly 15 minutes.  Fueling was good.  Never felt dehydrated.  I also took an Shark Salt for the bike ride as well and one before the run.  We went to eat lunch and then fired up the SeaDoo's.  I was really tired this morning.  I did not run my 6 mile planned run today.  I will see how I feel this evening.  Yesterday, took alot out of me.  It was basically a small triathlon.  I can't stand going off plan so I will probably do some kind of run tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment