Ironman Boulder

Monday, June 9, 2014

6.7.14 100 Mile Ride

I rode with Jeff and Doug today.  I met them at Andy Brown Park at 7am.  I went ahead and rode for about an hour before meeting them trying to get as many miles in as possible before the sun came out.  We rode with the DA group until we were south of the airport.  The wind was at least 15mph from the south so we tried to get as much mileage as necessary before turning around to the north.  We ended up at the Ballpark and the Death Star in Arlington but needed more mileage so we kept heading south.  We were blazing new territory for us.  South of 20 and still going.  We ended up slightly west of Joe Pool lake before turning around and plotting a route back to Coppell.  I had 55 miles in at the turnaround but we were making a more direct route back.  Once we got back to the airport, Jeff headed back home and Doug was going the other way around the airport to Grapevine.  I chose to go with Doug because I needed 20 miles to finish my 100.  I lost my shark salts on the way down so I was consuming a lot of Skratch.  I went through four bottles in the heat and humidity.  I also packed a peanut butter and honey sandwich to see how that would work with my stomach.  No problems.  I did not get enough calories and spent some time into the wind working outside my race range.  I never cramped, which is good after 100 miles.  I only lost 6 pounds on the ride, which was ok as well.  Fluids were right but calories were not.  I need to focus for the next few 100 mile rides.  This was my first so that was exciting.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515713740

No comments:

Post a Comment