Ironman Boulder

Monday, June 30, 2014

6.29.14 Pilot Knoll Trail Run

I believe the instructions for this week were very similar to last week except longer distance.  2 hours 15 minutes covering 12-14 miles, walking is ok, trails are fine.  I met Joe and the Matrix at 8am and we drove to the Pilot Knoll guard shack.  It was already in the mid 80s at 8:30am.  I needed 14 miles to get 100 miles for the month so that was the plan.  We ran 3.5 miles south and turned around.  We would reload water and nutrition and do the same thing going north.  I was good until the turnaround.  The build week started to drain my energy and I had a hard time getting my body to cooperate.  At about 5 miles into the run, I had to start incorporating some walking for a few minutes and then started to run again.  For some reason, Rich wanted to do some hill repeats at a really steep section of the trail.  The hell with that, I just kept going.  The southern route is more open so the sun is beating on you for most of the way.  The northern route is wooded and shady for the most part.  I kept telling myself it would be ok after we got back to Joe's truck.  I beat them back because I didn't do any damn hill repeats.  I did have an armadillo come out of the woods and I had to literally jump over him.  Everyone got a kick out of that.  Scared me to death.  I also had a field mouse jump out in front of me.  A very wildlife intensive day on the trail.  When we all regrouped, I was more interested than time than miles.  Rich took off and I couldn't stay with him.  We all decided to go as far as 30 minutes would take us and then turn around.  I think I went about 35 minutes.  I was getting enough water, Skratch and nutrition but I was just tired.  It was really hard to hang on.  My body was just not cooperating at all.  I ended up getting 12.3 miles in 2:31:55.  A little longer time wise than schedule and I'm 1.5 miles short of 100 for the month.  I missed a few running days at the first of the month.  I probably was on pace for 120 for the month.  I may have to walk the dog for 1.5 miles tomorrow night.  This is the worst I have felt after a run this year.  Just mentally tapped completely out.  Jeff said these last few weeks would be hard.  He was right.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/531163942

No comments:

Post a Comment