Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

4.2.13 Track Run

Man is it great knowing it won't be wind chills in the 20s for a morning run.  My thermostat is just not dialed in for cold weather.  For me, this morning was almost perfect.  A little more humid than I would like but 60 degrees with a slight breeze was awesome.  Warm enough to wear shorts and a tech shirt but cool enough that the breeze in your face feels good.  Jeff has me in a build phase so the workouts will be a little more intense this week.  Yesterday, I swam 2300 yards and stayed off the legs.  My swim was really fast.  I was done in about 50 minutes.  Maybe it was a workout that just was designed to end faster, I don't know.  I do feel like I am getting some sustained strength and stamina in the water.  Strange because I haven't been swimming much over the past few months.  Anyway, back to today.  The run was a warm up mile, 4x1200 at 10k pace and then decrementing 3-5 seconds on each interval, and finally a cool down mile.  I did some exercises Jeff gave me on the straights for the warm up mile so that slowed the tempo but it was good for warming up.  I wasn't really sure where to start (time target) for the 1200s.  I am a slow starter when I run anyway.  My first 1200 was a 6:45 at 8:37/mile pace.  Seemed reasonable but I just didn't know.  The rest would have to be faster and I didn't want to overdo it on the first 1200.  The second 1200 was a 6:16 at 8:18/mile pace.  I still felt like I had plenty in the tank so it would be ok.  The third was a 6:09 at 8:11/mile pace.  I was starting to get a little better on my splits now.  The last 1200 was 5:53 at 7:50/mile pace.  I guess my start was a little too slow maybe.  I seemed to cover the distances comfortably today.  My knee feels much better this afternoon following a soft track run vs. the hard ass concrete.  I missed the rain today completely so it's all good.  I have some work to do to figure out these workouts when I get them.  After a year with Jeff, you would think I can do better on my times.  I seem to be in a good place where I am getting faster and have trouble figuring out where I should be at times on these workouts.  First world problems, I guess.  I really need to put a little more focus on my bike workouts for the next few weeks.  I signed up for the Caveman Sprint so I am committed to that one.  I would like to go top 10 in my age group.  It's a goal.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/292253807

No comments:

Post a Comment