Ironman Boulder

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4.17.13 Swim

It should be a lighter week with the Caveman Tri coming on Sunday.  It's not an "A" race for me but I would like to do well and finish in the top 10 of my age group.  Maybe a little ambitious but I'm not doing a full on taper like I would for a big race.  Jeff gave me three swim workouts this week; 1700, 2000, 2400 yards.  They are typically good for Wednesday, Friday and Monday.  The Friday workout is only supposed to be 30 minutes in the water so I decided to skip the 1700 yard workout and go with the 2000 today.  It had a higher difficulty rating than many of the others.  It took me the entire hour to complete the 2000 yards today.  I wasn't slow at all but the work was really different.  I had a set of 6x75 where the first 25 yards was holding the kickboard in front of my head like a tombstone while kicking hard.  The resistance was pretty good.  I also did a set of 200 yards where I was jumping out of the pool to the deck and doing pushup, situps, or squats.  The long swim sets were with a pull buoy.  My arms and legs were pretty fried after this one today.  I am supposed to do a 90 minute ride this afternoon.  If the weather holds, I will try to get it in outside.  If not, back to the trainer again this week.  My Thursday, Friday, and Saturday sessions are much reduced in workload.  I feel pretty good right now so I'm looking forward to the race.  It's time to commit to the Buffalo Springs Ironman race.  I will probably register on Friday.  Always some anxiety and excitement about committing to the actual registration.  Buffalo Springs is a very difficult race and is supposed to be very equivalent to the conditions in Kona (heat, wind, hills, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment