Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

8.25.13 Northshore Trail Run

After missing a few days of work while moving my daughter into her house, I decided to get some work in on Sunday.  Our plane was due to arrive from Minneapolis at 9:20am.  I asked if my trail running crew could hold out until about 11am to run.  Joe confirmed, the Matrix decided to run coming off Leadville and so did Fred.  Excellent, I had some company.  Since I haven't logged much mileage on the bike this week, I rode my bike to Joe's house (~13 miles), run for 75 minutes on the trail, and then ride back home.  26 miles round trip riding the bike along with approximately six miles of running on the trail.  I left the house on my bike at 10:35am.  The wind was blowing from the east so it was a quick trip to Flower Mound.  I put my running gear in my camelback.  I took the water bladder out.  This worked great.  It was really hot as a downside. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365085628

We took off on the trail at 11:28 by my Garmin.  I'm not sure if flying creates problems running or not.  I was sluggish but I was also tired from getting up early for the flight and moving stuff for the last few days.  I really had no intention on setting any PRs.  The heat really took a toll by the end of the run.  I don't think anyone was real happy about waiting to run with me but I appreciate the company.  I think we almost lost Fred.  He went into the hurt locker in the last mile.  When we got to Joe's, he turned on the hose in the back yard and we all cooled off in the shade pouring water on our heads.  I wasn't sure about the ride home but after a few minutes of cooling off and getting my body temperature back down, I felt good about heading home.  Rich started to feel good again and he was smoking fast for the last few miles.  I stayed with him for awhile and then let him go when my heart rate was spiking in to zone 5.  I needed to back off and have some reserve for the ride. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365085653

It was almost 1:30pm when I headed back home.  45 minutes of really hot temperatures to ride through.  I had a full compliment of cold water bottles so it was fine.  One to pour on my head and one to drink.  I wasn't fast but I made it back easy.  I'm not sure if this was the brightest thing to do a week out from the race but it's in the books now.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365085679

No comments:

Post a Comment