Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

8.23.13 Minnesota River Tempo Run

We had to get my daughter moved into a house for her second year of college in St. Paul, Minnesota.  We left on Wednesday afternoon and arrived on Thursday evening. 


 
 
 


I was able to get a swim in on Wednesday morning but we were just too busy to get my bike workout in.  It was good to get a little rest and take my mind off of working out even though I have race #5 of the Tri Series on Labor Day.  One very cool workout was running in Fort Snelling state park on the Minnesota river.  It was very pretty along the river.  Patty went with me to run which was great.  On the way into the park on Friday morning, she took a picture of me with some wild turkeys.



We parked under the Mendota bridge which was at the end of the line for driving our car.  We decided to climb up to the bridge and walk across before starting our run. 



View from the Mendota Bridge

 

Downtown St. Paul


Downtown Minneapolis

Me and Patty on the Bridge


Jeff had a fairly tough tempo run for me to do.  One warm up mile, 7:30 mile, 8:00 mile, 7:30 mile and a cool down mile.  It was about a mile climb out of the park and across the bridge so I didn't really count that mileage.  The trail led downhill almost the entire way to my turnaround.  The first 7:30 mile was fairly easy.  The 8:00 mile was ok.  It was downhill for the first half but the last half was going back up the hill.  I was close to time.  The last 7:30 mile was a beast.  It was at least 100-150 feet of elevation gain basically going slowly up hill the entire mile.  I was good until the 20 yards or so of the climb.  I really felt a little dizzy and had to walk a little bit.  I wasn't going to make 7:30 but was around 8:00 pace until I walked.  Blew the last mile but wasn't too unhappy.  Met up with Patty for the cool down mile and then we walked the last mile over the bridge and down to the car.


 
 
 

 
 
 


I was tapped out.  Good work though.  Saturday, we spent the day shopping and moving Meghan in.  I don't know if you get credit for going up and down stairs.  If you do, I had a busy non documented workout on Saturday.  It was good that we were able to spend our last few hours with our daughter before heading back to Dallas.  That was more important to us than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment