Ironman Boulder

Saturday, January 12, 2013

1.12.12 Rainy Bike Ride

My plan called for a 3.5 hour ride today.  I didn't check the weather last night so I anticipated going later in the morning when it would be warmer.  My wife woke me up at 8am and said I had better get with it.  It was supposed to start raining and getting colder throughout the day today.  Good thing she said something.  It was a little wet when I left the house at close to 9am and the wind wasn't really blowing too hard.  I took a rain jacket with me and stuffed it in the back of my jersey along with all of my nutrition.  I started to get a little warm over the first 10 miles or so.  It was in the low 60s but I dressed a little warm anticipating the cooler weather.  When I made it out to Lake Grapevine, it started to rain.  I stopped at Twin Coves park and put my rain jacket on.  The wind picked up to at least 15 mph out of the north.  Bummer, for the next hour and a half I would mostly head north and the rain would be stinging my face.  I considered turning around and going home but decided to stick with the program.  If it ever got too bad, I could call somebody to come get me.  The weather started to cool down by the moment as well.  I think the winds brought in the cold front.  It rained almost the entire way to Argyle.  Sucked big time.  When I got out to 377 the rain stopped but the wind was pretty fierce.  Once I got the Argyle police station, I turned around and started heading east and south.  This was much needed and the pace was really fast going back with the wind.  The rain started again once I got to Flower Mound.  It was pretty wet from there on out.  I ended up covering 58.5 hard earned miles in around 3 hours and 45 minutes.  Terrible conditions today for riding.  I didn't see too many people out riding around today.  There were some other die hards out there.  Good to get the miles in.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261211564

No comments:

Post a Comment