Ironman Boulder

Thursday, February 7, 2013

2.7.13 Tempo Run

I felt a little sluggish this morning when I got up so I didn't know what to expect.  My water bottles for my fuel belt were in the dish washer waiting to be cleaned so I had to go with a hand held bottle.  I don't like the hand held bottles because I don't like holding anything in my hands when I run.  I checked the plan last night because I forgot what the times were for my tempo run.  They were faster than I remembered and I was having a hard time wrapping my head around completing this workout as designed.  The plan was 2 warm up miles, 2 miles at 8:00 pace, 1 mile at 9:00 pace, 2 miles at 8:00 pace, and 1 cool down mile.  I spent some time this morning trying to figure out how to work in the 8 miles and trying to find fairly flat sections for the 8:00 miles.  It was making my head hurt trying to figure it out so I just ran a route and whatever was coming, so be it. The two warm up miles were through a neighborhood and were pretty flat and my times were mid 9s.  I stopped at Lakeside Elementary School to eat a Cherry Lime Gu.  I tossed it in the dumpster before the fast miles so my pause resulted in a slightly higher time for mile 2.  I hit the Kroger at MacArthur and Sandy Lake and went west.  This is basically rolling hills that are predominately up hill.  I have never come close to running 8 minute miles up this stretch.  I decided to just dig in and go.  These two miles were completed at 8:15 and 7:52.  I did have to stop once for a car before I crossed a street so I think the first mile was really closer to 8:00.  I was really surprised at the speed.  My 9:00 mile would be mostly downhill so my route planning was either real good or real bad.  At the corner of Sandy Lake and Denton Tap, the Frost Bank had a covered wagon in the parking lot with some guys dressed up like cowboys and they were cooking breakfast.  I would have loved to stop, eat some breakfast and take a picture with them but I had to get going.  I had a conference call at 8am.  Bummer.  The downhill recovery mile was completed in 8:47.  A little fast but it was all downhill.  Staring at two more 8 minute miles, I got on the gas again going east on Parkway.  The first mile is a slow steady up hill climb for the entire mile.  I crested at Samuel and the next mile was a steady slow downhill.  If I could just work through the first one, the second should be ok.  I was able to maintain 8:02 throughout the first mile.  Once I went past Samuel, my pace picked up and I felt pretty good.  I misread my watch at about a half mile into the second 8:00 mile and thought I was almost done.  Once I realized I had another half mile left, I wondered if I could maintain the pace.  No problems though, I finished at 7:55.  Once the watch went off, I did stop and walk for about 100 yards and then picked up a nice recovery jog back to the house.  I don't know what to think of this new found speed.  It was really hard today but felt really good to continue getting good results.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/270618599

No comments:

Post a Comment