Ironman Boulder

Thursday, February 21, 2013

2.21.13 Tempo Run

I was supposed to ride the bike on my trainer for an hour last night.  I ended up working late and couldn't get the energy to do it.  I had a hard tempo run today and decided to rest.  I did swim yesterday morning for an hour and covered 2400 yards.  The swimming seems to cause me the most discomfort with my back and hip.  I don't know if it is body position related in the water or the constant movement in my torso.  It usually does not hurt while I'm doing anything but it says hello throughout the day.  It is getting better but is slowly healing.  My tempo run was tough today.  After a week off, the Tuesday speed work was doable but I figured to pay the price later in the week.  I didn't feel great going out the door.  Thunderstorms were heading our way but I figured to get an hour in before anything bad happened.  Wind was pretty stiff out of the SE so the mid 40s seemed like 30s.  Miserable conditions all the way around and my joints weren't too pleased with being asked to do this work today.  2 warm up miles, 2x (1 mile 7:45-7:55, 1 mile 8:30), 1 cool down mile.  My route is about 6.7 miles so my last mile today would be a few tenths short.  The first pair of tempo miles are the uphill side of some rolling hills making it extra tough.  My first two warm up miles were 9:43 and 9:50.  I wasn't really feeling it today at all and a sense of dread started to creep in for the next two miles as I knew they were uphill.  As I passed the Kroger and looked at the long uphill climb in the dark, I tried to not worry too much about the hill and just focused on form and cadence.  My first fast mile was disappointing at 8:10.  I cross alot of streets and sometimes the cars slow me down if I have to stop.  I wish that was the case today but I never had to stop once.  I was a little bummed out.  The second mile was 8:34 and had some steeper hills but I knew the next two had some downhill so I had that going for me.  Four seconds off target wasn't too bad.  The third mile has about a .5 miles of downhill that always makes for good time.  I was able to maintain pace once it flattened out and finished in 7:56.  Slower than I wanted but close to target.  I didn't know if I could knock out the last 8:30 mile or not.  I was pretty tired.  The terrain was really flat so it was time to focus on form and cadence.  Keep the legs turning over.  Knocked it out in 8:27.  I stopped for just a few seconds to get my breathe and lightly jogged out the last .7 miles to the house.  Bittersweet today.  I knew coming off a full week of rest this would be a tough day.  I wish I was a little faster but I'll take it for now.  Felt some early blister type thing on the bottom of my left foot.  It wasn't an actual blister but kind of felt like it.  I didn't wear my toe socks today so maybe that was the problem.  Something to keep an eye on.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275956705

No comments:

Post a Comment