Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

12.18.12 Record Setting Day

Today was a very good day.  I didn't really feel any better than usual when I woke up.  It was cold, 39 degrees cold and I don't like that.  I debate mentally what to wear for several minutes.  Don't want to be too warm or too cold.  The battle ensues for several minutes.  I finally get out the door kind of late at around 6:30am.  It's a track run so I should be home in an hour.  The warm up run to the track didn't feel any different than any other day.  It is a slow and easy climb to Coppell Middle School North.  During the warmer months the track is covered with people from the Dallas Athletes and training sessions from the Run On store around the corner.  On a cold 39 degree day, I am the only one at the track.  Peaceful and I feel good about it.  You get the sense that everyone else has given in to the weather and I am making ground on those who don't have the will to get out here.  Probably not true but it makes for a good motivational thought.  Jeff's plan for me today was four 800s at 5k pace today, followed by another 800 where I was to run with high heel form, and finally a 1600 at half marathon pace before running home.  I can't say I felt terrific to start the first 800 and decided not to glance at my watch.  I know it usually takes a pretty good effort to start these intervals below 8:30 pace.  When I hit the lap button on my watch it was 7:43 pace.  I was shocked and thought the time had to be wrong.  I walked for about 30 seconds and then started the second interval.  I felt better on this one and was maintaining good pace.  I finished the second interval at 7:24 pace.  For a while I was close to 7:00 pace.  For the third, I decided to step it up a notch.  I have never run a half mile at sub 7:00 pace.  I didn't know if I would be totally trashed or not.  I ran the first 400 and was really close to 7:00 pace.  I tried to put a strong effort in for the second lap.  Going into the last curve, I was at 6:59.  I sprinted with what I had left and looked at my watch.  6:56 pace.  I couldn't believe it.  I was very happy and had to let out a yell.  No one was there to hear it but it was a very satisfying moment, a ground breaking moment for me.  The kind of moment where you get all tingly inside because you accomplish something that you feel really good about.  I was concerned about the rest of the workout but no bother.  I did the last 800 at 7:29 pace and the last track mile in 8:42.  Amazing how slow 8:42 seems when your running at 7:00 pace.  I have to say the boot camp conditioning with my core has to be paying off.  I have no other explanation.  I am feeling stronger from a core perspective and the boot camp sessions are not leaving me as tired and sore as they did at first.  Bottom line, do not ignore core strength conditioning.  I will have to see if the improvement continues.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/252693780

No comments:

Post a Comment