Ironman Boulder

Sunday, April 27, 2014

4.26.14 Red Balloon Ride

Jeff asked me a few weeks ago if I would consider going to Muenster with him for the Germanfest ride.  He decided to not go but I found a ride out of Plano for Children's Hospital.  The ride was due north to the Celina area and then back covering 72 miles.  Jeff needed 100 miles so we started early before the 7:30am official start.  We rode for about 45 minutes to an hour and headed over to the race site.  We missed the official start by around 20 minutes so we were on our own for a while.  It was an easy ride heading out with the wind at our backs.  These rides are great because they have aid stations and support if you have a problem.  The aid stations were great.  Lots of food and drink.  They had police manning all the major intersections across the entire route which is kind of rare.  It was kind of confusing at the start in Plano and I had to consult my phone for the route.  We starting catching people in McKinney.  We were smoking fast all the way out and then we turned around in Weston.  I was able to pull off Jeff for about 10-15 miles against the wind and then my legs started to tire.  That dude is so strong he just powers through like it's nothing.  The wind had to be 20+.  With the extra mileage the route was almost 86 when we made it to the finish.  Jeff kept going and was going to run after his ride.  I grabbed some fruit and had a bottle of water before heading home.  I was kind of disappointed not to get a full 100 in but there is plenty of time in the next three months.  I probably could have done it but I would have been trashed for the Sunday run.  Good times for the Red Baloon Ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/487577667
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/487577671

No comments:

Post a Comment