Ironman Boulder

Monday, March 10, 2014

3.10.14 Winter Sucks

I had a somewhat busy training schedule for the weekend.  Saturday was a four ride.  It was dark, overcast, with a chance of rain and kind of cold.  Just enough to make it uncomfortable.  I was going to ride with Shelby and meet him at the FloMo CAC at 8am.  When I got there, Shelby had done something to his Achilles and was in some pain.  One of the guys he trains decided to ride with me for the duration.  It was good to have someone along.  I thought the route out to the Argyle town center would be enough distance.  The wind was fierce and blowing right in our face all the way out.  When we got to the turnaround, the watch said about 1:45:00 so we decided to keep heading west.  I ended up taking the Robson Ranch route which includes a steep climb up Hilltop Road.  They destroyed one of the country roads through the cemetery and replaced it with a subdivision.  It was a little confusing but we navigated through it.  Once we turned around, it was a big relief.  Coming back was fast and I missed the 2 hour mark arriving about 8 minutes early.  I covered 62 miles which is a decent distance for this early in the year.  We had to deal with a little rain on the way back which was a pain in the ass.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457250764

Sunday morning was cold, again.  This is Dallas and the temps should be turning around.  There will be the odd days of cold here and there until early April but this has been far more bad days to good days.  I am seriously over winter and it needs to go.  The Matrix wanted to leave at 7am but the time changed and sunrise was scheduled for about 7:45am.  Joe and I made the executive decision to wait for the sun.  Plan was for 90 minutes but we ended up going a little long at 101 minutes.  The north wind was stiff but you couldn't feel it in the woods so much.  That's the great thing about trail running in the winter.  I hit the same rock that wiped me out a few weeks ago but did not go down this time.  Despite the long ride on Saturday, I felt really good.  8.5 trail miles in 101 minutes is really good time at Northshore.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457872871

This morning I just swam.  Shelby was having boot camp but I was tired in combination with the time change costing us an hour of sleep.  Swim went well and my legs needed the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment