Ironman Boulder

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

6.18.13 Nipple Burn Blows

...so it was storming this morning when I woke up at 5am.  Went to the living room and turned on channel 8 to see what was going on.  A heavy storm cell was overhead but worst part of the storm was supposed to clear in what looked like an hour.  I'm still a little bitter over the Pflugerville results so I was ready to get some work in.  Rain or being wet in general is particular problem for runners.  When your shirt gets wet, it can rub on your nipples and take the skin off of them (in the worst case).  It sounds bad and it is.  I usually combat this by liberally applying some body glide.  When it rains, this seems to wash off the protection and we have a problem.  Jeff gave me a long workout for a Tuesday at over 8 miles.  It was raining almost the entire way.  On a scale of 1 to 10 for nipple burn, this was about a 3.  More precautions will have to be administered in the future.  The workout was really tough after coming off the race.  I ran to the track as the warmup since I assumed being soaking wet would not be a good option for using the truck for transportation today.  Two 800s at the track at 5k pace, a 4 mile tempo run around Coppell that ended back at the track at 10k pace, two more 400s at 5k pace, and then a cool down run back to the house.  Running against the wind today was nice because the breeze helped cool things down.  Running with the wind, although faster, was like sitting in a sauna having the life force drained from your body.  The two 800s were at 7:27 pace and didn't hurt too bad but I had problem generating sustained speed.  The four mile tempo run through Coppell was a real beast today.  My body was still a little sore from the race and I hoped to maintain right around 8 minute miles.  The reality was 8:33-8:42 mile pace. Once I got back to the track, the two 400s were more in line at around 7:07 pace but I was spent.  The run home was long and slow.  It was about a mile from the house that I realized my nipples were raw.  Bummer.  I think Jeff has a pretty tough week in store for me this week so it isn't getting any easier.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/329846499

No comments:

Post a Comment