Ironman Boulder

Saturday, May 25, 2013

5.25.13 Long Bike Ride

I texted my neighbor Justin last night and asked if he was thinking about riding today.  He planned to ride with Joel this morning at 5:15am.  The weather was a little crazy last night and there looked to be a hole in the storms this morning so I jumped on.  My plan had me going 4-5 hours today.  Joel is really in good shape for Coeur D'Alene and he was going at least 100 miles today.  I did not intend on going 100 but somewhere in the 70-80 range would work.  We rode over the dam at Lake Grapevine and through Irving back to Coppell.  Justin had to go but Joel moved on and then I decided to go to the whitehouse and back to add another two and a half hours.  It took us about two hours on the first loop so I would be right on track at four and a half.  I have been training around three hours so I felt pretty good up to that time.  The last 90 minutes were a bit of a struggle.  The bottoms of my feet hurt from pushing the pedals and I was tired.  I drank two bottles of Skratch Labs formula and I think that stuff really works.  I had a bottle of Accelerade as well and reloaded it with water.  It was really humid today and there were no cramping problems at all.  I remember getting to 66 miles and thinking how hard 112 must be for a full ironman race.  I guess with proper training, it wouldn't be that bad but it isn't what I have been training for this year.  In the end, I covered 76 miles in four and a half hours.  I think 76 miles is the longest ride I have ever had.  I need a nap but I feel pretty good.  My trail running brothers, Joe and the Matrix, are in Jemez, New Mexico doing a 50 mile trail run race today.  I guess a little suffering and pushing the envelope was in order on their behalf today.  The rain held off which was great.  Getting up at 4am is not fun but it feels good to get everything out of the way early.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317778019

No comments:

Post a Comment